And now, for the return trip. This road trip was supposed to begin on Friday, but I had to skip town on a road trip of my own, so I made the executive decision to issue this forecast for a road trip starting on Monday instead of Saturday. I imagine the forecast will change quite a bit, to be honest. Will the drive be good or bad? It will take us 8 days at 62mph (496 miles a day) to cover the 3941 miles between towns. Let’s get a move on. There is a ways to go.
DAY ONE (Monday)
An area of low pressure moving itself up Bristol Bay into Alaska is making for some rainy conditions in Anchorage today. The rain won’t be as heavy when we leave tomorrow, but there will still be some falling, though it will be pretty light all the way through southeastern Alaska. Frankly, most of the precipitation will be falling as snow in the mountains around town, but we can’t safely rule out some high based chilly rains. When we cross into the Yukon, most of the precipitation will be very high based, and driving along the Alaska Highway to the banks of the Donjek River should be just fine. Lonely, certainly, but just fine.
DAY TWO (Tuesday)
As wave after wave of energy moves inland through northwestern Canada, we will see more of the same. Very heavy precipitation is expected in the higher terrain of Mount Logan and the interior mountains of the Yukon. With the amount of moisture that is progged to move inland, I find it hard to believe that we will stay dry through the southern Yukon, but I would venture to guess that we will stop in Lower Post, British Columbia, right on the Yukon border, before we catch up to the front and have to deal with the potential for thunderstorms.
DAY THREE (Wednesday)
While we are asleep in Lower Post, the low pressure system that has been causing us our issues will shift into the Northwest Territories and pull most of it’s offending moisture away from our route. Huzzah! There will still be a little bit of oragraphic shower activity, especially along southwestern exposures, but beyond that, we are in for a fairly dry day as we make our way to Inga Lake, British Columbia.
DAY FOUR (Thursday)
Of course, as that low moves into flatter land, a pretty well defined cold front will develop in its wake. The tail of the boundary will stall on a nice east-west line, right through Edmonton. Oh, and by the way, we plan to go west to east right through Edmonton. We will likely be just north of the rain until about Whitecourt, but after that? All bets are off. Our day will end in Mundare,
DAY FIVE (Friday)
The front will start to move more quickly eastward as the surface low organizes over Hudson Bay. There still may be a few upslope showers in Alberta, but for the first time in our entire trek, we are looking at a mostly dry day through the Canadian Prairies. The day will end east of Regina in Wolseley, Saskatchewan
DAY SIX (Saturday)
We will manage to pass through Manitoba without actually stopping there. How about that? High pressure should, by this point, be taking control not over the Canadian Prairie land, but also the Upper Midwest. We will enjoy dry passage into the US and Argusville, North Dakota.
DAY SEVEN (Sunday)
There is another system developing over the Canadian Prairie at the end of August, and there is forecast to be some serious diurnal convection over the Ohio Valley. The spot between these areas, the Upper Midwest, will be completely dry (so long as you trust the GFS a week out. There is a post to come later today on why that might not be a GREAT idea). We’ll make it to Poynette, Wisconsin, which is north of Madison.
DAY EIGHT (Next Monday)
Sweet fancy Moses has this post taken forever to write. There is no way to be a hundred percent sure, but it still looks like high pressure will dominate the western Great Lakes next week. Just to be on the safe side, the longer range models are putting a little bit of rain in the southwestern Great Lakes and Ohio Valley, but if the pattern is anywhere close to what the model suggests, it will be dry along our route until we hit about Seymour, Indiana. From there to Louisville, there will be a better chance of diurnal convection. How much? Who knows, honestly.