Last night, as you may have noted, I lost control of the Victoria-Weather/Rhino and Compass Twitter account. The last tweet that was sent out was the forecast for Johnson City. Hopefully this road trip forecast doesn’t run afoul of my attempts to get back onto Twitter. The trip will cover 2591.9 miles over 5 days. The fifth day will be shorter, and the first days will average about 535 miles a day, thanks to an average speed of 66.9mph. Let’s see where the road takes us #FreeRhino.
A stalled boundary without much motivation to continue advancing eastward will plague the early portion of our travels. A lot of the moisture in eastern Tennessee will be expressed as mountain clouds and fog, but there might be a little bit of drizzle until we reach Cookeville. The drive through Nashville and most of the trip through Kentucky will be dry, but a reinforcing trough will move into the Upper Midwest and Great Lakes. There will be a chance for more chilly rain as we reach Paducah and make our way into southern Illinois. It won’t be much, but we will see an uptick in wind regardless as we stop for the night in Nashville, Illinois, which is about 20 miles west of Mount Vernon.
Sunday won’t be quite as drizzly as Saturday had been. In fact, the only real chance for precipitation will come with some ridge riding showers around Kansas City but really, the only impact we will see from the leading edge of this ridge is some clouds in KC. Before we get to Kansas City, it will be awfully cool for mid-May. As we head into Nebraska, we might finally see some seasonally appropriate conditions. The day will end in Waco, Nebraska, which is near York. These towns we are stopping at are all in the wrong state, aren’t they?
Our trip Monday will be the nicest to date. So long as you can tolerate the emptiness of Nebraska and Wyoming, we shouldn’t have many problems. Late in the day, likely not until after about 5 or 6pm, some isolated showers may begin to bubble up over the Colorado and Wyoming Rocky Mountains. I wouldn’t count on it, though, and our day should end peacefully in Fort Steele, Wyoming which is east of Rawlins.
Heading out for the day on Tuesday we will find that the atmosphere has been stabilized, and our drive will be sunny and warm through the remainder of Wyoming, passage through Utah, and eventually our stop in Elko, Nevada for the final stop before we finish this drive off.
We will finish off our drive without a problem. In fact, the closest thing we will have to an issue will be if our vehicle, unable to cope with the long miles we have been putting on it, struggles to ascend and descend through Donner Pass. Hot, sunny weather will be waiting for us in Chico.