Fellow readers know that whenever we do a forecast post here at Victoria-Weather, we compare our forecast to those of Weatherbug, Weather Channel, Accuweather, and the National Weather Service. Afterwards, we grade the results and determine a winner. Well, starting February 1st, we’re going to welcome a new competitor into the fray… WeatherNation! You might have heard them in the news over the last couple of days in regards to a dispute between DirecTV and Weather Channel, but they’ve been increasing their broadcast and web presence since 2010. WeatherNation is even based right here in the Twin Cities, and I’ve had the pleasure of meeting a couple employees from there recently. Let’s all say a collective hello to our fellow newcomer!
The Victoria-Weather/Rhino and Compass Twitter account has been suspended. We are trying to figure out why, and bring it back.
All right, so I am back from a lengthy road trip to Jacksonville that included stops in Lafayette, Indiana and Iowa City, Iowa on the way too and from. In order to recap the trip from a weather perspective, I will be posting something related to the trip every day for the next 5. Here is a schedule.
Wednesday: Minneapolis-Lafayette, Indiana – Rain in Indiana
Thursday: Lafayette, Indiana-Jacksonville – How the Smokey Mountains got so smokey
Friday: Jacksonville – Nearly breaking a record
Saturday: Jacksonville- Paducah, Kentucky – “It’s cold out here!”
Sunday: Paducah, Kentucky – Iowa City, Iowa – Needed rain in Iowa
And then today, we finished the trip, so there won’t be a dedicated post for that. I hope you enjoy my recounting of a great vacation!
Hi! Perhaps you noticed yesterday, there was a slight error in communication, and we forecast for Albany NEW YORK instead of the promised Albany, Georgia. Oops! To make up for it, Tomorrow’s Twitter Tuesday will be for Albany, Georgia as it would otherwise be for the most recent forecast site.
It’s probably nothing that you have noticed, unless you pore intently over the site every day, but on the top bar, there is a new tab entitled “request a forecast”. So I don’t have to repeat myself, here is what it says on the page:
“Fill out the form below in order to request a private forecast. We will be in touch with you as soon as possible, usually within an hour or two. Please be aware that there is a nominal fee, depending on the type of forecast you need. We look forward to hearing from you!”
As you will note, I mentioned a form. It is a brief, 4 question form so we can find out what kind of forecast you may need and then do what it takes to get you your forecast as soon as possible. Because of the nature of our site and this methodology, we recommend using our service for longer range forecasts, such as the 2 day site forecasts or road trips we feature on the blog.
Additionally, we are seeking advertisers! If you or your company is interesting in featuring your brand on our site, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org in order to submit a bid or inquire about rates. We had nearly 20,000 hits in the past calendar year, so it is worth at least a small investment!
That’s it for my sales pitch, we’ll be back to the real weather by tomorrow!
We intended to have a Feature Forecast for the Toledo/Sandusky area tonight with Doug Moats of Fox Toledo, but it fell through. We are working on rescheduling and hope to have Mr. Moats some time in the very near future!
For those that don’t know, most of the site design decisions here at Victoria Weather have been suggested and implemented by our friend Donya, who has a much better eye for for pretty much everything than we do, not to mention a greater understanding for HTML design. Part of the exasperating problem with this past month’s hacking and rebuilding problem is that Donya has been unavailable. You see, on the day that the site went down, Donya was at the hospital, giving birth to her first child. Her baby son had some trouble early on, but his prospects now are good and they should all be able to go home by the end of next week. So from Anthony and I, we wanted to congratulate Donya and her husband Beau on their new addition, and hope for the best for all three. After the past week, I certainly can’t wait until Donya is back to 100%!
As you can see, we’re not quite 100% yet. That said, we’re planning on resuming the schedule that was so rudely interrupted on Monday with the schedule that was supposed to have happened then. In the mean time, you may check in before then to see what we decide to do with the blog in terms of format, color scheme, etc. The whole thing is getting rebuilt, so we might as well toy with things, right?